As Stilton is in abundance at this time of year, in cheeseboards and gift sets, this is a perfect way to use it.
15g butter, plus a little extra for greasing
2 leeks, white and pale green part only, trimmed
1tbsp sunflower oil
160g bag baby leaf spinach
175g bread or bread rolls, preferably unsliced and a day or two old
150g Stilton, crumbled
50g mature Cheddar, grated
4 large free-range eggs
600ml semi-skimmed milk
2tsp Dijon mustard
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease an ovenproof dish with butter.
2. Cut the leeks in half lengthways and rinse under running water. Slice finely and pat as dry as possible with kitchen paper.
3. Melt the butter and oil in a pan, add the leeks and stir to coat. Cover and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the spinach and stir until it wilts.
4. Cut the bread into 2cm cubes and put most of it in the base of the dish, reserving some cubes for the top.
5. Put the vegetables on top of the bread in an even layer. Scatter on the Stilton and then the Cheddar.
6. Lightly beat the eggs with the milk and mustard, then pour over the cheese topping. Scatter on the remaining bread. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
7. Remove the cover and bake for 40-50 minutes until the top is golden and the inside is set.
Ready in: 1hr 40mins
Price per serving: £1.10
Calories - 546
Fat - 33.6g
Sat Fat - 16.8g