Walnuts or pecans can replace pistachios. This dessert can be frozen for two weeks in a plastic container.
4 large egg whites
225g caster sugar, plus 100g for the toffee sauce
115g pistachios, finely chopped
75g unsalted butter
450ml double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 130C/110C/Gas1/2. Line two baking trays with baking paper. Draw a 21cm diameter circle on each, then turn the paper over. Whisk the whites to form glossy peaks. Add the sugar a heaped tsp at a time, whisking until stiff again after each one.
2. Gently fold in the pistachios. Put a small dab of the mixture under the paper in each corner to help it stick to the tray. Spread the mixture on the trays to make two rounds, using the pencil marks as a guide.
3. Bake in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes or until pale coloured and crisp. To test if it is cooked, peel off the paper at one edge - if it peels off easily the meringue is cooked. Cool on a wire rack.
4. Meanwhile, make the toffee sauce. Heat 100g caster sugar in a small pan with 2tbsp water until the sugar dissolves. Cook, without stirring, until golden brown, then remove straight away from the heat and add the butter and a small pinch of salt. Add 75ml of the double cream and stir until it's evenly mixed. Set aside until cold.
5. Lightly whip the rest of the cream until it holds its shape. Fold in the toffee sauce with a spoon so that you have a swirled effect.
6. Spread on one meringue and top with the other.
Ready in: 2hrs
Price per serving: 32p
Calories - 398
Fat - 29.7g
Sat Fat - 16.5g